Welcome to Velo Promo!
August 9, 2022 Update
By popular demand, we are adding a 30+ 1/2/3 race to San Ardo and University, and will at Dunnigan as well. They may start with the 40+ 1/2/3 if there are few riders, with separate prize lists. If separate at San Ardo, all later starts will be 5 minute delayed.
July 22, 2022 Update
As of right now, we are operating Patterson Pass, Suisun Harbor, San Ardo and University races in August (and Athlone, Oakland and Henleyville - and Oakland needs money as well) in Sept). We need a bit more than $6,000 each for Dunnigan, Winters and Giro di San Francisco to just break even, and permits for these are hard to come by as well. Fires in the north part of the state (so far not bad, thankfully) can also force cancellations.
In addition, much of our regular staff has gone off to other pursuits, and some are sick as well. As with other businesses and organizations, key people are harder and harder to get these days. We can do these (PP, SH, SA and U) races with volunteers and a skeleton staff and still break even, like at Watsonville (and thank you, volunteers!!) but it's getting harder and harder, and we'd like to do more than just break even. We also need to start paying back our $20,000 pandemic SBA business loan as well.
Costs for the three doubtful races are substantially higher than most of ours, including:
Dunnigan: 4 CHP officers $3,000, ambulance $1200, fire departments $1500, Mailing 2800 resident letters $1,200; in addition to all the other costs such as at Leesville. (officials, staff, lodging, gas, permits, toilets, USAC and NCNCA surcharges ($6.55 per rider), USAC vehicle and government agency insurance, food, government permits, and more.
Winters: 6 CHP officers $4800, Mailing 2200 resident letters $900, and the other costs.
San Francisco: No parking signage (by city) $2800+, City permits $1500, Mailing 1800 resident letters $750, and the other costs.
We normally get lots of riders at these races, but that increases costs like toilets, surcharges, officials and other things, and always adds to more negative responses from residents and other road users, things we have to keep to a minimum.
I know, we can raise entry fees (and contribute to inflation and fewer new riders into the sport), but I don't think that's the way to go.
We have two fine clubs willing to help with volunteers (Dolce Vita for Dunnigan and Revolution for the GIro), but the other costs currently make all three losing propositions. It is possible we could raise enough money for Dunnigan on a new date of August 27, but we'd need it right away.
Donations, financial support from clubs, sponsors and other sources can add up to near the total needed, but not yet for sure. What we need is to work on all of these for next year, so that the money is in the bank, and planning can go ahead early. We have set up a GoFundMe portal for these end of season races: "Velo Promo, operating bicycle races in NorCal" and will have a Pledgereg page on Bike Reg for each. Team Thirsty Bear has already offered to help (Thank you!!)
If you have solutions for this year or for next, please get in touch with me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Robert A. Leibold
July 20, 2022 Update
Athlone Time Trial is now open on Bike Reg and the flyer is available here!
July 18, 2022 Update
Patterson Pass, San Ardo, and Suisun Harbor are all open on BikeReg.com, and the flyers are available on our Current Season page. University should be available by the end of the day. See you there!
June 1, 2022 Update
Watsonville Criterium: Pursuant to Teams and Women's requests, and following NCNCA guidelines, we have added a Women's 3/4/5 race to Watsonville, and combined the Category 1/2/Pro and Category 3 races to fit. Update flyer is on our Current Season page. Join one or both races!
May 17, 2022 Update
The number of riders entering the Madera Stage Race is far too small to support it this year. I'm sorry, but we cannot afford to continue to pour our effort and money into this race. Entered riders will receive a refund within a week.
The Regalado Road Race June 5 will open in a few days on bikereg, and will happen regardless of pre entry numbers. Later Velo Promo races this year will be analyzed for viability.
May 7, 2022 Update
The Madera Stage Race (May 20-22) is now open on BikeReg.com. We need 200 riders to be able to afford to conduct the race, please sign up today. (See the flyer Here!)
The Regalado Road Race will be June 5, and will be open at BikeReg this week. As it is the Masters Road Championships, it will be held no matter how many riders sign up.
March 15, 2022 Update
Again, we are asking for volunteers to help us out with the Santa Cruz Classic Criterium March 27. I know, it was only 6 months ago we had the same race, but here we are in our usual time of year, and we still need lots of people to make this race take place. Please sign up and direct your friends to this page to sign up as well. Thank you!!
Both Santa Cruz Crtierium and Copperopolis RR are open online at BikeReg.com; A volunteer sign up sheet for Santa Cruz will be up soon as well. See you at the races!
March 14, 2022 Update
The race flyer for the Copperopolis Road Race is here and should be open on BikeReg today!
March 11, 2022 Update
The race flyer for the Santa Cruz Classic Criterium is here.
March 4, 2022 Update
Due to weather conditions (snow and ice) projected for Saturday morning, we are not holding the Wards Ferry Road Race on Saturday March 5. We hope to hold it later in the spring, date tba. Sunday's Copper Valley Circuit Race at Copper town Square in Copperopolis will be taking place as scheduled.
Please inform your teammates and share this note so that riders don't make the trip and find no race for them. Entered riders will be moved to the new date, and those that can't make that will get a credit to use at a later Velo Promo race.
The Santa Cruz Classic Criterium will be open for registration by March 9th.
February 4, 2022 Update
The Snelling Road Race, on a different course due to bridge construction, but the same HQ and registration site as always, is open for registration at www.bikereg.com/snelling-road-race. Enter while you can, this race fills up!
February 1, 2022 Update
Cantua, Pine Flat and Merced are permitted and open on Bikereg.com. Snelling's permit is pending with USAC, and should open on BikeReg before Friday. Smaller field limits this year, so enter early.
Free camping is available at Pine Flat's Island Park Marina, the race hq. No overnight camping is allowed at Snelling's Henderson Park, race HQ.
More races to come: Ward's Ferry March 5 and Copper Valley March 6.
January 10, 2022 Update
This Sunday's Early Birds (1/16) should be open on BikeReg now. I'm trying to get it open for all three weeks, but it may be that I can't open one until the past one is over, so Sunday nights for the following Sunday..--Robert Leibold
January 4. 2022 Update
The Early Birds program starting this Sunday Jan 9, is in Livermore on Constitution Drive, not in Fremont, despite the Fremont Police Department's message to the public to the contrary. Please spread the word. See you in Livermore the next four weeks!
September 15 Update
Due to an unforeseen schedule problem on the Santa Cruz Course (a large scale event at the Kaiser-Permanente Basketball Arena, and a conflict over two hours in the afternoon), we must shorten the race schedule for the Criterium on 9/26. We have eliminated the Master 45+ 4/5 race, and moved each of the following races 65 minutes earlier more or less. Please check the schedule in the new race flyer, and inform your teammates and other riders. Yet another apology is in order. I'm sorry, but we have to live with the Arena and its scheduling (each event, the race, and the Fan Fest at the Arena, had to move farther apart by one hour.)
September 7 Update
As of this morning, the Oakland Grand Prix on September 19th and the Santa Cruz Classic Criterium on September 26th are both on! BikeReg registration sign ups will be up in a day or two, and the races will use the same courses as in the past.
NEED FOR VOLUNTEERS: A volunteer sign up sheet for Santa Cruz can be found here.
August 31 Update- Athlone Time Trial
We are watching the air quality forecasts; no decision to cancel at this point. However, all riders should realize that this is a pre-entry only race - all must be signed up by Wednesday night 11:59 pm, no race day entry. (the following day's Castle Criterium IS open to day-of entries)
August 28 Update- Copper Valley
With forecasted air quality in the Orange range (currently in the red) and temperatures up to 104 F, I think we'd better call the race off and take our lumps, rather than subjecting riders to the conditions. Light wind will be from the NE tonite,and then SW in the morning, keeping the smoke more or less where it is.
This is a disappointment to me and the staff, and to all riders, I'm sure; we have more than 2x as many as in 2019 signed up, and every thing in place (toilets, tee shirts, officials, staff, road closures, etc), but I'd rather not damage lungs with some races still on the calendar in the month ahead. I won't change this decision even with if we get better forecasts tonight.
We will have bikereg issue credits to all 168 riders pre-entered, which will be usable at any Velo Promo race in the future (including this one in the spring). Please inform all riders you know that were intending to come (as not all will receive this email). I'll be there all day to talk to any who don't get the word, but the fewer the better.
August 27 Update
We will have a decision tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon about cancellation/conditions. There were two new fires in the past two days in the immediate area (Vallecito and Sonora-close to the VP HQ!); both are under control, but creating a lot of smoke in Copper. Current conditions are unsuitable for a race, but things may change by Saturday afternoon. Prior to these fires, the air was ok for the race, but wind conditions are not currently blowing the smoke away. If we end up cancelling, we will issue credits for future Velo Promo races to all entered riders. We may be able to hold the race towards the end of September, but we certainly plan to hold it in the spring, when the area is green and the sky is clear. (and we have lots of other races set for next year!) Pass the word to your teammates, and watch for this space to have a decision by 5pm Saturday.
August 11 Update
The Copper Valley Circuit Race was just approved by Calaveras County, and the Athlone TT was approved by Merced County. Now we are waiting for Castle AFB, the City of Oakland, and the City of Santa Cruz to approve for our final races of the year. We'll open registration for Copper Valley and Athlone (District Championship TT) within the week. (Still no new info on Regalado - maybe Sept 6). Agencies are being more cautious with spreading Delta variant.
August 4 Update
The Chowchilla Criterium (Masters and Juniors District Championships) has been replaced on Sept 5 by the Castle Criterium, in Atwater, just north of Merced. The City of Chowchilla has informed me that construction on houses of the Chowchilla course has finally started, and the course is currently unavailable. The Castle course, on the old Castle AFB property, and held 2010-2012, is a .65 mile flat course, with two 90 degree turns and one long 180 degree curve. Not exciting in and of itself, but an available alternative in a short period of time.. Definitely more shade and a few lawns as well. The USAC permit will be in hand in a few days, and registration should be up at BIkeReg within the week, as will Copper Valley (Aug 29).
San Ardo (Aug 21) should be up by tomorrow.
July 19 Update
Velo Promo is opening registration for the Patterson Pass Road Race 8/8 and the Suisun Harbor Criterium 8/15 on bike reg in a day or so.
The remainder of our season is as follows:
Aug 22 Maybe University Road Race
Sept 19 Oakland Grand Prix (Criterium)
Sept 26 Maybe Santa Cruz Classic Criterium (Elite Criterium Championship (Race will be Santa Cruz pending permit; if not, it will be Oakland)
Postponed to 2022:
Dunnigan HIlls Road Race
Winters Road Race
Giro di San Francisco
We may be able to fit in Regalado Road Race and/or Henleyville Road Race into some of the cancelled dates. We plan to return to a full schedule of races in 2022.
All neutral support vehicles at Velo Promo races will have to be covered on the USAC 's insurance, which means we have to send in the relevant information to USAC and pay the fees at least a week before the race, preferably earlier. If you want to be neutral support, we must have the following information (and the Chief Ref must approve you as well):
Driver's full name
Driver's license #
Auto license, year make and model
Insurance policy dates
We welcome neutral support vehicles, driven by experienced support drivers, and insured through the USAC's non-hired insurance program for everyone's safety and support.
Individuals have always supported Velo Promo races; now it’s time to get companies and corporations involved. We need to raise money via sponsorships for many of our most popular races. Everyone in the sport is or knows someone in a company to approach to get them involved in sponsorship of a category, or a race, or a series of Velo Promo races in Northern California.
All we are asking is to get the names and contacts of the right (and ideally interested) people to contact in Northern California companies. Many of you have enjoyed Velo Promo races for years, and we like to think we’ve added something to the sport in this area. We’ve had one company this past year join in (thank you Darren Mar-Elia and SDM Software!), but we need several more if we are to continue our program of races. Please contact us as soon as you can.
Thank you, ----Robert Leibold email@example.com
Velo Promo needs your help.
Please click here to read about it.
Podium photos are on the Velo Promo Facebook Page
Car Pool to Races:
Why? Save Money; Help Environment; Ease Parking Congestion; Lessen impact of Injuries. Details Here
How You as an individual Can Help:
Want to make things better at Velo Promo races?
Are you a club that wants to be support a race?
Click Here to join with Velo Promo for a race.
Are you an artist who would like to design one of Velo Promo's T-Shirts?
Issues? Notify our webmaster.